Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Helping Mom Make Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake

Over the weekend, when we were at the farm where we picked our own strawberries, Kai spotted rhubarbs for sale. He had never seen them before and was curious. He asked what they were and how they tasted. We explained that they are frequently used in pies.

Kai wanted us to make a rhubarb pie, so we got some and my wife looked up recipes

She found a recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake, and Kai was excited to help make it yesterday.

He helped chop the rhubarb under the nervous supervision of Mom.



He added the rhubarb and some of the strawberries we had picked to the cake tin.



He helped crack the eggs and add in water.



He assisted Mom with the mixer.



And poured the cake batter.



He was very happy when the cake was baked and Mom flipped it upside down.



It tasted yummy!



I don’t know how long it will last, but right now Kai really enjoys helping Mom in the kitchen. It made for a nice Mom-and-son activity.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so fun! And I'd love to taste that cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first Strawberry Rhubarb cake, and it did taste good!

      Delete
  2. The sweet taste of success! A nice mother and son activity indeed...certainly a delicious one!

    I remember my father telling me of this anecdote concerning the word "rhubarb". He said that in the movies (probably 50s and 60s), when there were large crowd scenes where people were supposed to be talking among one another, the actors would just repeat the word "rhubarb"...It would make the crowd sound as if if were busily conversing without any lulls in the sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that's an interesting story. I never heard that one before. I wonder how many different words they tried before they decided that "rhubarb" was the best choice.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh, I never knew how to make an upside down cake! Thanks for the picture tutorial! So glad he enjoyed it!

    My dad used to make a *delicious* sweet treat from strawberries and rhubarb. He'd put the rhubarb in a pan first with a small amount of water and let them become soft. Then the strawberries go in (he prefers them whole, I like them better cut up so they get soggier) with sugar to taste. It makes a mushy pudding type thing.

    Strawberries + rhubarb = *yummy!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how tasty our cake was. We will be making more rhubarb recipes in the future.

      Delete
  4. awwwww you have a beautiful family
    I am amazed at how cooperative he is - r loses his attention in the middle of an activity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kai is maintaining his attention for longer periods of time than he used to... it is nice to see the improvement... I'm sure that will happen with R as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...