Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sweetheart of a Day

My son looks forward to all special occasions and Valentine’s Day is no exception.

For the past couple of days, he has worked here and there to make Valentines for his classmates and teachers.

In addition, he really wanted to get Sweethearts candies to give to each person as well.

As Kai is on a GFCF diet, and just a healthy diet in general, he does not eat much candy. He can’t have most chocolate candies as they have milk in them, and he does not really like sweet candy anyway.

But he does like Sweethearts candy on Valentine’s Day.

Sweethearts are those small heart-shaped candies with the little messages printed on them. Kai doesn’t really like the taste of them; in fact, he hardly eats them. He just likes reading the messages.

“Be mine.”

“Crazy 4U.”

“Soul mate.”

“Time 2 dance.”

Last year his mentors from school brought over a box of Sweethearts to use for a Valentine’s craft project. But, they had bought a Spanish version by mistake. Kai didn’t mind, though. He had just as much enjoyment reading the Spanish phrases.

“Hola.”

“Te amo.”

“Mi amor.”

Mom had not yet gotten the Sweethearts so after his therapy yesterday afternoon, they went to the drugstore together to buy mini-boxes for each classmate. Kai came home and taped them to the back of each Valentine he had made, saving one for himself.

I don’t know what kind of celebration they will have at school today, but I can just hear Kai’s laugh as each student reads their Sweethearts messages.

“Tweet me.”

*****

Longtime readers may recall why Valentine’s Day is not just a Hallmark holiday around here. For you newer readers, click here to read the column I wrote a year ago, and find out what happened nine years ago.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

7 comments:

  1. Wow...I read both posts and I am in tears now! Sent the link to my husband, wanted to share your beautiful story! Kai has the best family, how sweet!
    I was going to write a big comment, go on about our story, but Kai's story won my heart! Thank you!
    Geovana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Geovana! I hope you and your family are having a wonderful Valentine's day.

      Delete
  2. I also remember those Sweetheart candies...they taste awful! However, if any candy reminds me of Valentines day...it would be them.

    I remember that original post.

    A good life for everyone had come from initial sadness. What a story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they do kind of taste like chalk, don't they.

      Thanks, Shiroi.

      Delete
  3. How very fun. I love to read the messages on those little hearts!

    ok..off to read what happened 9 years ago! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes...I remember now. That is such a sweet story. I admire you so much, Yuji for wanting to be a part of their lives!

      Delete
    2. It's fun to see your child enjoy something that you enjoyed as a kid. Those some of those messages have been updated.

      Betsy, I really don't look at it as something to be admired... I get much happiness from our lives together and feel fortunate that we are a family.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...