Sunday, March 25, 2018

We're Going to a Wedding! Part 2

We were in Williamsburg for my nephew's wedding. The ceremony wouldn't be until 4 pm so we had some free time before then.

We started out with breakfast at a southern-style restaurant. Kai only had garlic potatoes and baked apples.


When in the South... I had fried catfish, eggs, garlic potatoes, and corn bread.


We went to Colonial Williamsburg where they had a recreation of the 18th century town.


My wife and Kai still weren't 100% and wanted to save our strength for the wedding, so we did not stay too long. But we took a carriage ride so we could see more of the town.



We went back to the hotel to rest up for a bit, and then it was time to get ready for the wedding.


The ceremony was absolutely wonderful. The bride and her dress were stunning. My nephew was handsome and a proud groom. I loved that the ceremony was short and sincere; it was everything a wedding should be, and nothing more.


Kai, true to his word the evening before, was great. He was quiet, paid attention, and behaved perfectly.

And then came the fun part of the day, the wedding reception.


The bride and groom paid homage to my nephew's Japanese heritage by having a non-traditional guest book. Small wooden plaques called "ema" are used in Buddhist shrines in Japan to write messages to spirits and ancestors - and were used here to write well wishes to the happy couple. (We had arranged for my wife's dad to send the plaques over from Meiji Jingu in Tokyo as that was a place we have visited together with my sister, brother-in-law, and nephews four years ago.)


Ian's brother, Kiyoshi, was best man, and gave a very nice speech. My favorite part was when he told the story I had first heard in Hawaii last summer, about how my dad's friend Ernie gave my dad $5 to take out my mom for the first time. Without that, none of us likely would have been there that night. Kiyoshi said that sometimes it is the little things that make a big difference, and that he would be there to help the newly couple, as he was sure we all would be.


Kai's favorite part, though, was the dancing. Music had been playing for a while, and people had finished eating, but no one was dancing. He asked, "When does the dancing start?" And I told him that he could go ahead and dance. He was a bit tentative at first, but once Mom went out there with him, he loosened up.


From that point on, he was on the dance floor most of the rest of the night.

He paused only when for some wedding cake. (The bride and groom are both police officers).


And to pose for photos (here with my sister and nephew):


And here with the bride and groom.


And to have a doughnut...


But mostly he was just having fun!


As was everyone.


Weddings are happy times. And especially so for the families of the bride and groom.

My nephew is a good man, and I am thrilled that he is marrying a woman who seems to be the ideal partner for him. It was great to see Susan's family equally thrilled that she was marrying Ian. And for my sister and brother-in-law, it was an emotional time as their oldest child had passed a most momentous milestone.

In a much smaller way, the day was a bit of a milestone for us, too, as parents of Kai. Many times these happy occasions for others remind us of what may never come for Kai. But on this occasion, he showed some signs of beginning to grow up. And though he has a long way to go, the maturity he showed on this day is encouraging. Perhaps one day we can celebrate his own union with someone who loves him as much as Susan and Ian love each other. Ah, that would be something.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, Kai seems to have really grown. He is a lot taller than I had imagined. The bride’s dress looked really nice, not at all garish. And, the groom looked handsome in his suit. The wedding sounds like it was a very nicely done affair. It is good Kai had a great time. He is more outgoing than am I. I would never go on a dance floor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that Kai is taller than his mother now.

      I didn't give all of the details of the wedding, but it was very well thought out and everything turned out so well. We were all very happy with everything.

      And yes, Kai had a great time! He wanting to go on the dance floor prompted me to do the same. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...