Thursday, June 16, 2011

Progress at the Pool

It has been a while since I saw my son at his swim lesson, so I looked forward to the opportunity to see him this week.

My wife has been telling me of the progress that Kai has been making. So, I wanted to see for myself what he can do.

I was happy to see how far he has come. Kai now puts his head under water while stroking his arms, and then lifts it up to the side to breathe. It’s not the smoothest motion, but that he can do it at all is amazing. He is much farther along than we thought he would be at this point.

And the best part is that he is enjoying it. At the end of the day, I asked him what was his favorite thing that he did that day and he answered “swimming.” Given that he’s off from school this week and he did several other fun things, that said a lot. It is certainly a far cry from the first few weeks of lessons when we had to literally drag him out of school kicking and screaming on the days of his lessons, and then forcibly carry him into the health club where the pool is.

As great as seeing the swimming was, the thing that stood out for me was something else that I saw at the pool. A girl about Kai’s age was swimming near him at one point. He looked at her and asked her what her name is. After asking everyone their name at the party we went to recently, he is apparently keeping up his socialness. This time, however, after the girl told him her name, he didn’t just turn away. He said, “nice to meet you.”

Progress, progress, in more ways than one. I love it.

2 comments:

  1. We just came back from our community pool. Although Alex loves it...he is still not at the level Kai is. I'll be taking him twice a week for the next couple of months...I'll go in with him to teach him.

    Good for Kai...he is following up on his social skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were fortunate to find a great swimming instructor who has a lot of experience working with kids like Kai. He knew just how to overcome Kai's great fears. Good luck with Alex. I'm sure he will make lot of progress under your tutelage.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...