Sunday, July 28, 2013

Yellowstone Vacation – We’re Off

I had a long day of driving planned for the first day of our road trip to Yellowstone – we had to get all the way to Fargo, ND – and wanted to get off to a relatively early start. Kai did, too.

I had told him that if we got to the motel too late, we wouldn’t be able to use the swimming pool, which is always one of his most anticipated activities on every vacation.

“Dad, you wake me up early. I don’t want to be late.”

Of course, he was up bright and early all on his own, eager to get going.

“Let’s skip breakfast. And let’s go to a drive-thru and eat lunch in the car.”

I told him that we had time to eat breakfast, and wanted to take a short break for lunch so we didn’t need to eat in the car.

Usually when we are on the road, Kai wants to stop often, to use the bathroom, he says. But I’ve long suspected that it’s just an excuse to buy snacks at the quick marts at the gas stations. And I believe I was proven right, as this time he did not ask to stop once with the threat of “no pool” hanging over him if we were late.

And so we had a pretty uneventful first day on the road.

Kai was very content watching videos in the car, something we try to limit at home, but looks forward to while on the road. I somewhat try to limit the hours of video in the car, but having a happy kid in the car while I’m driving often takes precedent.

We arrived early enough at the motel to use the pool, much to Kai’s delight.


And then went to dinner. Now who would have guessed that we would find a fun spot for dinner in a place like Fargo? We went to a place called Space Aliens Grill & Bar. Think of it as a Chuck E. Cheese’s with an outer space theme.


Kai had a blast playing in the arcade. Like playing ski ball with his grandfather.


And other fun games like Fruit Ninjas.


So, after more than 600 miles, we are a little tired, but not much worse for the wear. We are off to about as good a start as we could have hoped.

I am actually having fun on my vacation.

Next: Yellowstone Vacation – From Fargo to Billings

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're having fun! You covered a lot of miles on your first day! Glad everyone is happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betsy. It's been quite an adventure!

      Delete
  2. Wow...over 600 miles...well done! Everyone looks as if they are having a great time. The evening swim must have been refreshing for all. Kai is really holding up well. You are leading your family on a grand adventure I am sure they will always remember. I look forward to your next update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kai really loves the pool, and it is pretty relaxing for all of us as well. Yes, I think we will all have memories of this trip that we will always remember.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...