Thursday, October 31, 2013

Carving a Pumpkin All by Himself

I always call my wife after I leave work to let her know which train I will be on and when I expect to be home. When we talked the other day, she told me that Kai was carving a pumpkin all by himself.

My wife had bought three smaller pumpkins to go with the big one we carved earlier. As it was Halloween week, Kai reminded her that they still needed to be carved, and volunteered to work on one himself.

My wife was very surprised that he wanted to do it. We had never let him try to carve one before.

He told her that he had carved one in school, having been taught by his OT. We don’t always have a lot of insight into what his OT at school works on with him, so it was good to find this out.

Once the pumpkin insides had been cleaned out, he drew a face on his pumpkin. Then he poked a hole for a starting point using the icepick-like tool that came with the carving kit we had.


Next he inserted the tool with the small, saw-like blade and began carving out his design.


He started with the eyes, and then went on to the nose.


I couldn’t wait to get home to see his work. He did a nice job, don’t you think?


My wife and I heaped praise for a job well done, and my wife continued to express surprise that he was able to do this.

“I’m becoming a big boy, Mom,” he told her.

Yes, he is.


2 comments:

  1. Kai is becoming a big boy! It is great that he has such pride in his achievements. His Jack-O-Lantern is much better than mine was when I was his age. Good job Kai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were pleasantly surprised how well he carved that jack-o-lantern all by himself. He really is becoming a big boy!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...