Thursday, November 11, 2010

Celebrating Washington’s Birthday

Today is Washington’s birthday. 

What?  Oh yes, I know that today is Veteran’s Day.  And a hearty and sincere thank you to all veterans who served our country and defended liberty for us all.  We will never forget your brave service. 

But, in addition to being Veteran’s Day, it is Washington’s birthday.  What?  Some of you are telling me that George Washington was born in February.  You are right.  But, I’m not talking about George Washington.  I am talking about the state of Washington.

Washington joined the United States on this date in 1889.  That means that it is 121 years old today.  How do I know this?  Why, my son told me, of course.

I previously wrote about his love of numbers, and how he memorized the order in which each state became part of the USA.  These days Kai has developed an interest in celebrating the exact date in which each state joined the union.  Today happens to be Washington’s “birthday.”

At breakfast time, he was talking all about Washington.  I think he was almost as excited about celebrating this state’s birthday as he was about celebrating Mom’s.  He took out his deck of playing cards which has descriptions of all 50 states and pulled out the Washington card.  He even wanted me to go out and get balloons.  I don’t think I’ll do that, but maybe we can make a birthday card later on.

I just hope that we can have a nice celebration without him being stung by a bee like on Mom’s birthday.

By the way, for those of you who didn’t know about Washington’s birthday, I want to give you a heads up that Oklahoma will turn 103 on the 16th.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...