Monday, December 12, 2011

Winter Weekend

With Christmas and Hanukkah now less than two weeks away, and the coldest weather of the season arriving, it really feels like the holiday season. This weekend, we took advantage.

On Friday night, Kai and I visited our town’s holiday festival that featured fabulous ice sculptures…


live reindeer…


and holiday lights.


Then, yesterday, we went skating as a family.

Kai has been doing really well at his skating class so my wife bought us all skates so that we could skate together. After our first family bike ride, we were looking forward to our first family skate since Kai learned to skate.

We wanted to skate outside, but our local park district has not created the outdoor rinks yet. But my wife remembered that they had build one next to Wrigley Field. So we drove into the city.

I’m not sure if it was the new skates or the unfamiliar environment, but Kai did not skate like he does during his Saturday morning classes. He barely moved along and said he wanted to go home. I wasn’t about to give up so easily.

I grabbed his hand and dragged him along. I haven’t skated much since I was a kid so my own skating is labored. My feet ached. But we moved along. Sometimes my wife would grab Kai’s other hand and we would pull him along together, and later she skated with Kai so that I could snap pictures.

After a break while the ice was Zamboni-ed, we went out for a few more laps. Kai finally started to skate more. He didn’t skate as well as he usually does. But at least he moved on his own a little bit.

It wasn’t a smashing success. But Kai didn’t quit. And it was time spent together on a sunny day.

I’ll take it.

6 comments:

  1. The night shots were great. What a great family outing...both night and day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was cool to see the ice sculptures... Kai really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sculptures, lights, reindeer, everything is so much better in the US!!! Glad you didn't quit; sometimes it gets too easy to do that. But then again, sometimes you just have to!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun! My boys would have liked the Zamboni the best! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph, we don't have live reindeer and ice sculptures all the time... it was a special festival... so it was nice. I'll bet the weather doesn't get as cold in your part of the world, though.

    Betsy, I know what you mean. When we were looking at the ice sculptures, Kai's favorite part was picking up the little blocks of ice that had been chipped off the big blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ABSOLUTELY
    I would take that too
    Love the gorgeous pictures !!
    you have a beautiful family

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...