Friday, July 5, 2013

Our 4th of July

Kai has wanted to go to the public swimming pool in our neighborhood since it opened for the season about a month ago. But it has been unseasonably cool and rainy the whole time. So when we had our first warm day yesterday, Kai was insistent that we go.

I thought we could go miniature golfing instead and save the pool for the weekend when it would really heat up, but Kai did not like that idea one bit.

So we went to the pool and stayed for a good couple of hours. Funny how a “relaxing” time at the pool can leave you feeling exhausted. Well, not so much for Kai. But my wife and I were drained.

We sandwiched our trip to the pool around walks with the dogs


and cooking out with hot dogs for lunch and chicken for dinner.


Then we mustered up some energy to drive over to our town’s Fourth of July fireworks.

We found a good spot to park our car, which was conveniently a good place to view the fireworks. So, we set up our chairs and waited.


Kai occupied himself with the iPad. Though he popped up every two minutes to ask me what time it was and how much longer it would be until the fireworks started.

As the sun was setting, a woman who was sitting next to us asked her group if anyone was looking at the beautiful sunset.

“I am!” Kai answered, which was funny for a couple of reasons. The first is that his head was still staring down at his iPad when he responded, a fact that the woman noticed and jokingly commented on.

Besides that, though, I thought it was funny because when we try to ask Kai questions when he is on his iPad, it is like pulling teeth to get him to respond. And here he was piping up to answer a question that wasn’t even asked of him.

Anyway, after that, Kai asked me every 30 seconds to take a picture of the sunset. Here’s one of the pictures.


The fireworks were quite nice. We had somewhat serendipitously found one of the best places to view them as we got to see them quite close.


Kai really enjoyed them, as he applauded almost throughout.


After we got home, we did sparklers in the back yard.


And that wrapped up another great holiday.

I had to go to work today. This morning I still felt exhausted, as I took a nap on the train into downtown.

But besides feeling tired, I mostly felt good. Kai has been doing really well lately, almost consistently in a good mood and not angering much at all. His joy and exuberance on this day is enough to bring a smile to my face and a spring to my step.

2 comments:

  1. A nice day for all. I liked that sunset. It was funny when you told of Kai looking at his iPad and answering that he was looking at the sunset. Several times last night, during the fireworks show, I had to call the bursts to Alex's attention. He was occupying himself with a glow stick...he was burying it in the sand. When I told him to look at the fireworks...he said that he was :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Alex's response was just like Kai's. I think they must feel that they can multi-task, and if they are doing two things at once, it feels like they are paying attention even if it doesn't look like it to us.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...