Friday, March 14, 2014

Beginning to Explain Autism

About a month ago, I wrote how Kai asked if he had autism, and how I felt that I gave an inadequate response. My wife talked about it with our son’s school therapist, and the therapist thought it would be helpful if she worked with Kai at school about it.

So she just started having one-on-one sessions with Kai, using Catherine Faherty’s autism self-awareness workbook, Autism: What Does It Mean to Me?: A Workbook Explaining Self Awareness and Life Lessons to the Child or Youth with High Functioning Autism or Aspergers. The workbook guides a child through self-discovery exercises, while also providing a structure for teachers or parents to help the child learn more about autism.

The first chapter begins with several pages that guide the child through exercises that help them think about themself. For instance, the page below prompts a child to highlight their strengths and talents.


The workbook goes on that autism is another characteristic of the child, and explains what autism is.



In subsequent chapters, I believe that the workbook will explore topics in more depth, allowing the child to become more self aware, and to learn about what autism means and how it impacts them.

The therapist said that she would send home each chapter after they have completed it, allowing my wife and I to be aware of the concepts they are discussing. This may serve as a springboard for us to have further discussions with Kai about his autism.

I am grateful to get the assistance from Kai’s school on this. Kai is ready to learn about his autism. It is good to know that such a helpful tool as this workbook exists.

4 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! I hope it helps...which I'm sure it will. I like that you get the chapters sent home, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is so nice to have the support from Kai's school on this.

      Delete
  2. I think that the portions that show the strengths are incredibly important. The same basic process underlies all learning. Although there are inherent strengths and weaknesses in individuals...by stressing the strengths, what can be learned is the process which works for the individual and the same process may be used to bring up the weaknesses...and improving the child's overall drive to learn.

    I think you will have good results. Here is to you and Kai's team :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shiroi. I am hopeful we will have good results, too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...