Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Sunday – Almost

My son had shown little interest in watching sports with me until a couple of weeks ago when we watched the Chicago Bears played the Green Bay Packers in the NFC championship game. At that time, Kai was very revved up and determined to see the entire game.

I wondered if that was a one-time event or if he would be just as interested in watching the Super Bowl. Being a football fan, and an American, I had to see the big game, of course. So, I’ve been prepping him for the past two weeks, telling him how fun it would be and that we would have a party as we watched in the family room. My wife said we would have chips and salsa and chili which are some of Kai’s favorites.

As we neared game time, everything was going according to plan. Kai was very excited. He took his bath in the afternoon so he wouldn’t have to miss any of the action. He even was looking forward to the commercials and the halftime show. When we turned on the TV and brought out the chips, he was all set. Everything was perfect.

Well, not quite.

I started to feel sick. By the time the game started, I had a fever and felt achy all over. Although I think that Christina Aguilera’s excruciating rendition of the national anthem was what really pushed me over the edge.

I sat on the far end of the couch away from my wife and son and tried my best to show some enthusiasm game. But, I felt too miserable. I wanted to at least stay up for the halftime show but I couldn’t even do that.

Kai, however, had a magnificent time. My wife tells me that he watched until it was his bedtime. His favorite part was the halftime show as he danced enthusiastically along with the music.

I’m sorry I missed it. But, it makes me feel a little better knowing that next football season I may be able to enjoy more father-and-son bonding on Sunday afternoons.

Now, all we need are the owners and players to reach an agreement so that we can have a season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...