Thursday, October 13, 2011

Happy Garbage Day!

Today is garbage collection day in our neighborhood. And that makes it a special day for me.

Oh, it isn’t because I particularly enjoy taking the trash cans out to the street. Although, rolling those containers down the driveway is about as thrilling as it gets around here.

No, the real reason for my fondness for Garbage Day is that my son wants to join in the fun.

“Kai, I’m taking the garbage out to the street. I’ll be back in a minute,” I tell him.

“I want to come with!”

His excitement is palpable.

You may be thinking that it is so sweet that this little boy wants to share an activity with his dad. And it is.

But, his excitement isn’t due to the fun of being with dear old dad.

No, it is because he loves garbage stickers.

In our community, we have to attach stickers (which we purchase for $2.35 each) to each container of garbage we put out for collection. Each sticker has a unique number code printed on it. As my son loves numbers, he can’t wait to see what the number on the sticker is each week.

This morning was particularly special, as not only did we have our usual container of garbage, we also had two bags of fallen leaves as well. So, it was a three-sticker day.

Many dads and sons bond over a game of catch, or shooting some hoops. My son and I bond over garbage.

But that’s okay with me. It’s nice to have a shared experience with him, even if it is just over some trash.

******


This post is part of this month’s S-O-S Best of the Best Series: Family Life – Fun, Loving, and Special. Best of the Best is a collection of bloggers who come together on the 15th of each month to write on one topic pertaining to “invisible” special needs. Check out this month's edition by clicking here.





4 comments:

  1. That was a cute story. We don't have that sort of system here. Ours is one flat rate...Garbage, Sewer and Water. At least you have something to look forward to as you do a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the sticker system - I'd prefer a flat rate - but, it does make Kai more interested so that is a pretty good side benefit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...