Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Take a Hike!

It looked to be the perfect weekend for camping. The weather was great, the fall colors were nearing their peak, and my son had a three-day weekend with the Columbus Day holiday. What could go wrong?


We returned to Starved Rock State Park, where we went a year ago. Starved Rock is the exception to the drab landscape of most of our state.

This year, we hiked to a few places we did not see last year, including Council Overhang, a large “amphitheater” carved naturally out of the rocks over time.



The waterfall at the end of Ottawa Canyon was mostly dry, but it must be spectacular in the spring.


Kai’s grandfather came with us. He kept up on all the hikes.


But Kai wasn’t much for hiking, at least on the trails that I wanted to go on, and that frustrated me a lot. He seemed fine about walking all around our campground where he could look at the numbers of every campsite.

But, when I wanted to expose him to more of the canyons and bluffs and beauty of the area, he loudly protested. His whining reminded me of the similar time we had this summer when we tried to hike in the Smoky Mountains.

It wasn’t until we went to an apple orchard/pumpkin farm later in the weekend that Kai really smiled a lot. Here you see him enjoy the corn barn where he could meet all of his sensory needs by rolling around in a big pile or corn kernels.


I’m exhausted, more mentally than physically. And when I think of going on another vacation with Kai, the foremost thought in my head is “take a hike!” to that.

I’m sure that will change over time. But, for now, I’m happy to be back in our boring home where we have some peace.

2 comments:

  1. Nice park! I love fall colors. Your father is farm tough (keeping up on the hikes).

    The corn kernel pile looked like it would be fun. We are going to a pumpkin patch that has many activities soon. You had a good weekend, all in all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was actually my wife's father on this trip, but he is tough, too.

    Fall is our favorite season, especially early to mid October.

    I'm sure I will look back on this fondly over time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...